How To Configure Your Church For 5G – 1st, Recognize
HINT, I’m not talking about upgrading your cellular phone service…This is about the 5 gifts: Apostle, Prophet, Pastor, Teacher & Evangelist.
The Beautiful Description
In Ephesians 4, there is a beautiful description of the body directly connected through each other, to Christ. This Church body is growing through the proper functioning and contribution of each individual part, catalyzed by genuine love, directly led by Christ.
This description is dependent on three interactive elements: Function, contribution & direction. Each person has a proper (specific) function, each body-part makes a crucial contribution, and every part operates under Christ’s direction.
Most church congregations regularly meet to worship, teach and reach out. They operate in Christ’s name, they offer opportunities for each individual, and they collect contributions from the body.
The Practical Addition
The most immediate and practical way configure your local Church for the 5 gifts, is to add a gathering that is dependent on the 3 interactive elements. The
without the three elements: Function – Contribution – Direction.
This is my “writers depiction” of an intentional gathering of that Church.
Every believer has a calling, an invitation, a unique place of belonging in the body of Christ. In Christ, we have the power and ability to live a life that is worthy and suitable to that calling.
The question is: What is that calling, and how does one structure a life suitable to that unique life-calling and placement in the body of Christ?
The Setting is: A body or congregation that operates in humility, patience, gentleness and persistent love with a deliberates emphasis given to maintaining the unity of the Spirit under the cohesive bond of peace.
The Problem is: How can a local church recognize and support the individual callings and lifestyles of each member and function as a cohesive and Spirit-unified body under the direct rule of Christ?
If that beautiful Eph 4 description is reliable, then it must be possible. If it’s possible, it has to be doable. This is an idea of how to configure your local church to solve the problem using the 5 gifts described in Eph 4.
First, let’s look at how well a few approaches to the problem have succeeded at;
- Recognizing individuals.
- Functioning under Christ.
The Local Church Approach: How it’s normally done.
Most local churches do three things well: Sunday service, youth and children’s ministries and at least one specialty like a missions program, a food bank, a school, training and often times a partnership with an outside “para-church” group.
Those three usually use most of the resources, engage most of the volunteers and consume most of talent and vision of the staff and leadership. The idea of adding new and significant opportunities to the ministry-mix is desirable but not practical, feasible or fundable.
- Recognizing individuals: Not specifically, or personally. The main function is to provide consistent, practical and acceptable opportunities for interested individuals. The predominate support for and recognition of any specific calling is for minsters, staff members and missionaries.
- Functioning under Christ: No unifying or dynamic connections through the function of each body member under Christ. The assumption is that as the church of Christ, they are functioning under and honoring Christ in their gatherings, programs, outreach and worship. The pastors, elders and denominational officials operated in leadership roles as under-shepherds, under Christ.
The Common 5 Gifts Approach: How the Charismatics do it.
Most Charismatic and Holy Spirit oriented churches also do three things well: Spiritual gift focused meetings, specialized teaching, and Office-level, gift-led ministry. (Apostolic-Prophet-Pastor) The apostle-prophet-pastor leaders oversee and lead most of the ministry.
The focus of “5 Gifts Approach” is often focused on expressions of authority and power over regional, national and global interests, and aimed at combating and defeating spiritual wickedness and dark forces. The people are unified around the diverse miniseries led and conducted by Office-level gifted personalities, and their approved designates.
There are some “equipping” and grooming for spots at the top. The vast number of members are operate as participants.
- Recognizing Individuals: Individuals are not encouraged to “prophesy in the parking lot” or express their spiritual gifts without the “covering” or oversight of the those designated by the Office-gifted. To be recognized and authorized to exercise their individual callings, members need to meet specific criteria and attain approved spiritual status. Not commonly available at the local affiliate church level.
Summary: Neither approach is practically configured to recognize and support individual callings; to operate in cohesive spiritual unity; to function (in love) under the direct rule and headship of Christ because; their approaches can function without any or all of the above.
Solution: Configure an approach that cannot and will not function without all of the above.
Money Left On The Table
Think back, can you recall an instance when you were outmaneuvered in a deal, overpaid on a purchase, or made an agreement that obligated you more than the other person? You left money on the table.
A couple of opening fundamentals:
- Everything needed is currently available.
- Everyone necessary is willing and capable.
- There’s plenty of money on the table.
*"Markism" A thought, idea or quote original to Mark
- * The small “c” is the organizational or .org church; Big C is the organic organism led by Christ.
- Money is an agreement. In finance, in families, in faith and in eternity; money-value-meaning is created, circulated and credited between people, and God, based on their agreements. (written, informal, oral and most often implied)
As of today; 9-18-23 I gonna use this statement as my Possible-life-theme. Yes, it must be possible. If not, then God is eternally testy-at-best and even my finest efforts and bright shining moments are nothing but aberrations and illusions. Since I did say